Stuffed Mushrooms are always a favorite, they can be delicious and reasonably healthy at the same time.
- One 16oz package fresh button mushrooms
- Two cloves garlic, minced
- Two tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup canned artichoke heart, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen medium ready-to-eat shrimp, defrosted, drained and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Separate the stems from the caps of the mushrooms.
- Spray the bottom of a 9×11 inch (or larger) baking pan with cooking spray (I personally am trying to use the non-aresol and/or organic cooking spray, like olive oil, as much as possible.
- Place the caps, upside down and side-by-side in the pan.
- Cut off and discard the tough ends of the stem.
- Finely chop the stems.
- In a medium skillet, sauté the stems and the garlic in the olive oil until the mushroom juices release and evaporate.
- There should be only a little liquid in the pan.
- Mix in cream cheese, parmesan and spices until combined.
- Mix in artichoke hearts and shrimp.
- Fill mushroom caps with approximately 1 tbsp of mixture.
- Mushrooms will appear “overfull”.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
(Recipe by Katie Johnson, modified by Louise Hughes.)