Ingredients for Healthy Taco Meat
- 1 lb. ground chicken or turkey (Honeysuckle is a good choice)
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Salt to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 can low sodium black beans or pinto beans, drained
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1-2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- Shredded low fat, part skim mozzarella cheese
- Low-fat or non-fat sour cream
- 1 container fresh salsa
- 1-2 whole tomatoes, diced
- 1-2 avocados, diced and sprinkled with lime juice
- 1 can sliced black olives, drained
- For salad, combine all salad ingredients in a large serving bowl and toss lightly.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For taco meat, mix chili powder, cumin, red chili flakes, onions and garlic into raw meat.
- Add oil to skillet and brown meat mixture.
- Add beans and cook 2-3 minutes to heat through, then remove.
- Build your salad: add greens/salad to plate or bowl.
- Add taco meat mixture, and your choice of toppings.
(Recipe by Diana Cook and Louise Hughes)