Note from Linda
When life gives you lemons, make lemon chicken! Enjoy flavorful chicken with a lemon twist that’s ready in minutes.
Prep Time: 5 min
Total Time: 25 min
Makes: 8 servings
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pistachio nuts, if desired
- Lemon slice, if desired
Total Time: 20 min
- Flatten each chicken breast half to 1/4-inch thickness between sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with lemon pepper.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken, lemon juice and lemon peel in oil 15 to 20 minutes, turning chicken once and stirring juice mixture occasionally, until juice of chicken is
no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut.
- Serve chicken topped with juice mixture, nuts and lemon slices.
Both bottled lemon juice and dried grated lemon peel are readily available to keep on hand, but for this simple recipe grab fresh lemons from the grocery store. They flavor the chicken wonderfully and you’ll have enough left to make fresh lemonade. Fresh is always better, be aware of the preservatives in most bottled lemon juice.
To quickly flatten chicken breasts, gently pound with the flat side of a meat mallet, the bottom of a small saucepan or a rolling pin until desired thickness.
To toast nuts, bake uncovered in an ungreased shallow pan in 350º oven about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Or cook in an ungreased heavy skillet over medium-low heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until browning begins, then stirring constantly until golden brown.
(Thanks to Linda Traver for this recipe!)