Homemade chicken stock is the best for this, but low sodium canned broth works well, too.
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups of chicken stock*
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup snow pea pods
- 1 can water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup thin sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup brocolli florets, broken into small florets
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken, and/or cooked pork, cubed or thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce*
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
- 3/4 cup of straw, enoki, button, crimini or sliced shitaki mushrooms
- Place the chicken stock, and every ingredient except the eggs in a large pot
- Bring ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and slowly pour eggs into the soup using the tines of a fork to slow the pouring.
- With your other hand, stir the soup in one direction only.
- Let soup cool slightly. Serve immediately.