- 2 whole chicken breasts, raw, sliced in thin strips
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 can low sodium black beans, drained
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Shredded low fat, part skim mozzarella cheese
- Low-fat or non-fat sour cream
- 1 container fresh salsa
- 1 whole tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced and sprinkled with lime juice
- For salad, combine all salad ingredients in a large serving bowl and toss lightly.
- Refrigerate salad until ready to served.
- For the fajitas, sprinkle the chicken breasts with the spices, red chili flakes and salt to taste and mix to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat and cook chicken until completely cooked through.
- Remove chicken, set aside and drain 1/2 the moisture from the skillet.
- Add onion, bell peppers and sauté for 3-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add chicken and beans, cook for 2-3 minutes more, to heat through, then remove.
- Build your salad: add greens/salad to plate or bowl.
- Add fajita mixture, and your choice of toppings.
(Recipe by Louise Hughes)